Arwyn’s Broken Arm: Window, Bush, Ground

Date October 21, 2010

Last Friday, Jeremiah and Breckin left around 5:30pm to do an Adventure Guides event. Judah and I were in the kitchen eating dinner and Arwyn was in the living room. She had just watched Jere and B leave from the window and had seen some kids playing outside in the cul-de-sac. She moved in for a closer look, which meant climbing onto the arm of the chair and leaning onto the screen of the opened window. She put all of her weight on the screen and fell out of the first floor window. First, her face met the bush and she cut her head and face. Then, her body met the ground, breaking both bones in her forearm.

Still sitting in the kitchen, I heard the type of scream that makes you drop everything you are doing and run to your child. I ran into the living room, my heart already beating like crazy, and I couldn’t find her. I could hear her, but I didn’t see her anywhere. Then, I saw the window. I ran outside to find my small child lying on the ground between the house and the evergreen bushes in the front of our home. She was screaming. I tried to get her to come out, but she was clearly shocked and not going to listen to anything I said. After a second or two, she stood up and that is when I saw her face and most alarming, her arm. It wasn’t straight anymore. This is when things get fuzzy for me because I think I also entered a sort of “shocked” state. I mean really, the second time inside of two months one of my children has broken a bone! I started yelling at God….on my porch. I am sure I looked crazy. I looked up and screamed, “You’ve got to be freaking kidding me!!!!” This was probably not the “going to the Lord in prayer for my daughter” response the Lord was hoping for, but it is just what I did. I went inside to get my phone, forgetting where it was even though it was right in front of me. I was just so stunned. I called Jere. He came home and we made arrangements for Breckin and Judah. We took her to the hospital.

We arrived at the ER around 6:15pm and didn’t get home until 12 hours later. Sweet Arwyn was stuck 5 times in attempt to start an IV. Making matters worse, she is terrified of needles. I mean, TERRIFIED! So, not only did she break her arm, she was, in her mind, tortured 5 times after that. The IV start was never a success. Finally, they gave her a shot of ketamine in the leg and knocked her out. They reset her bones and casted her in the ER around 2:30-3am. She slept through the ride home and until 10am. She woke up acting a little tired, but just like Arwyn. Even though we have had plenty of beautiful window-open worthy days since, I have yet to open the windows again. Arwyn is doing really well and recovering quite nicely. She hasn’t slowed down one bit. However, it is possible I am now the most paranoid mother in the world.

One Response to “Arwyn’s Broken Arm: Window, Bush, Ground”

  1. Lizz @ Yes, and So is my Heart said:

    I would totally understand if you made them put on helmets, no make that full body armor, before they even step out of bed in the morning! :)
    Glad she bounced back so quickly. Hopefully you can do the same. You’re an awesome mom!

Leave a Reply

XHTML: You can use these tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>